Basic Documents: Report of the Rapporteur-General
1. The Eleventh Summit of Heads of State or Government of the Non-Aligned Countries was held in Cartagena de Indias, Colombia, October 18-20, 1995.
2. It was preceded by a preparatory meeting at the Ambassadorial/Senior Official level, held October 14-15, and by a preparatory meeting at the Ministerial level, held October 16-17.
3. The following members of the Movement attended the Summit:
4. The following countries, national liberation movements and international organizations attended the Summit as observers:
The following organizations and national liberation movements also attended as observers: Organization of the United Nations, Organization of African Unity, League of Arab States, Organization of the Islamic Conference, Afro-Asian People's Solidarity Organization, New Independentist Movement of Puerto Rico.
5. The following countries and organizations attended the Summit as guests:
6. The following countries and organizations attended as guests of the Government of Colombia:
7. The following organizations also attended:
Opening of the Summit (item 1 on the program)
8. H.E. Soeharto, President of the Republic of Indonesia, declared the Eleventh Summit of Heads of State or Government of the Non-Aligned Countries open.
9. The Summit observed a moment of silence in memory of the leader of the Movement of the Non-Aligned Countries who had passed away since the Tenth Summit Conference, particularly President Premadasa of Sri Lanka, President Juvenal Habyarimana of Rwanda, President Cyprien Ntarnyamira of Burundi and President Kim II Sung of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
10. H.E. Soeharto, President of the Republic of Indonesia, in his capacity as President of the Tenth Summit Conference, presented the report on the activities of the Movement during the 1992-1995 period, which the Conference resolved to adopt as an official document (NAC 11/Doc.7).
11. At the motion of President Soeharto, the Summit, by acclamation, elected the President of Colombia as President of the Eleventh Summit of Heads of State or Government of the Non-aligned Countries.
H.E. Ernesto Samper Pizano, President of the Republic of Colombia, delivered the inaugural address, which the Summit resolved by acclamation to adopt as an official document (NAC 11/Doc.8).
12. H.E. Boutros Boutros-Ghali, Secretary General of the United Nations, also addressed during the opening session of the Summit.
13. The inaugural address of President Ernesto Samper Pizano was followed by the statements of the representatives of the various regional groups, in the following order:
Approval for the program (NAC 11/Doc.2)(item 2 of the program)
14. The Summit approved the following program:
Report of the President of the Preparatory Meeting at the Ministerial Level (item 3 of the program)(NAC 11/Doc.3)
15. The President of the Preparatory Committee, H.E. Rodrigo Pardo García-Peña, Minister of Foreign Affairs of Colombia, presented the report to the Eleventh Summit of Heads of State or Government of the Non-Aligned Countries. The Summit took note of the report.
Election of the Board (item 4 of the program)
16. By recommendation of the Preparatory Meeting at the Ministerial Level, the Summit decided that the Board would be composed as follows:
17. The Summit also decided that Indonesia, in its capacity as immediately preceding President, would sit on the board of the meeting as an ex-officio member.
18. The Summit noted that Ambassador Ramiro Osorio Fonseca, Director General of the Eleventh Summit of the Movement of the Non-Aligned Countries, had been appointed Secretary-General of the Summit.
Organization of works (item 5 of the program)(NAC 11/Doc.4)
19. The Summit approved the recommendations presented by the Preparatory Meeting at the Ministerial Level which appear in the text of its report, NAC 11/Doc.3.
20. The Summit established a Political Committee to review Chapter I, Global Affairs, and Chapter II, Analysis of the International Situation; and an Economic Committee to review Chapter III, Economic Affairs, and Chapter IV, Social Affairs, of the Draft Final Document (NAC 11/Doc.1/Rev.1).
Admission of new members and participation of observers and guests (item 6 of the program)
21. The Summit approved the following recommendations of the Ministerial Meeting:
22. On behalf of the Summit, H.E. Ernesto Samper Pizano, President of the Republic of Colombia, welcomed the country recently accepted as a member of the Movement, as well as the one accepted as a guest. Turkmenistan and Ukraine expressed their gratitude, as well as the Russian Federation, which was accepted as a guest of the Movement in the Ministerial Meeting of the Coordinating Bureau at Bandung in April 1995.
Report of the President of the Tenth Summit of Heads of State or Government of the Non-Aligned Countries (NAC 11/Doc.5)(item 7 of the program)
23. The report was presented by H.E. President Soeharto during his inaugural address of the Summit. The Summit took note of the report.
Review of the international political and economic situation (item 8 of the program)
24. The Summit devoted five plenary sessions to general discussion of the review of the international political and economic situation, which were presided over by H.E. President Samper. In his absence, the following heads of delegation presided over the sessions: Algeria, Cyprus, Ghana, Palestine, Malaysia, Malta, Nigeria.
25. During the general discussion, the floor was taken by the following member countries:
26. The Summit also heard statements from the following observers and guests: Armenia, Brazil, China, Kyrgyzstan, Mexico*, Russian Federation, and Ukraine.
Approve of the final documents (item 10 of the program).
27. The Conference reviewed the following final documents:
I) The Call from Colombia. NAC 11/DOC.6
II) Draft Final Document (NAC 11/DOC.1/REV.2):
III) Declaration of the Heads of State or Government of the Non-Aligned Countries on UNCTAD (NAC 11/DOC.5)
IV) Declaration of the Heads of State or Government of the Non-Aligned Countries on UNIDO and the United Nations Regional Economic Commission (NAC 11/DOC.9)
V) Report of the Rapporteur General (NAC 11/Doc. 10).
The following Delegations announced reservations regarding some paragraphs of the final document: Chile, Colombia, Guyana, Iran (Islamic Republic of), Irak, Jamaica, Malta, Panama, Pakistan, Peru, Saudi Arabia, Syria Arab Republic, United Republic of Tanzania, Thailand, and Venezuela.
Dates and sites of the Twelfth Ministerial Conference and the Twelfth Summit of Heads of State or Government of Non-Aligned Countries (item 9 of the program)
28. Concerning the date and site of the Twelfth Conference and the Twelfth Ministerial Conference, the President announced that further consultations will continue on these issues. The Conference took note of the announcement by the government of South Africa of its interest to be consider to host the Twelfth Conference of Heads of State or Government, if the Movement so decides.
Other business (item 11 of the program)
29. With regard to the applications of Bosnia-Herzegovina and Costa Rica for membership in the Movement, and of Japan and the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia for acceptance as guests, the Summit resolved to defer consideration thereof for subsequent discussion at the Bureau of Coordination in New York.
Closing (item 12 of the program)
30. The closing session of the Summit was held October 20, 1995. Ambassador Ramiro Osorio, Secretary General of the Conference solemnly read the Call from Colombia.
31. The representatives of the various regional groups, in the following order:
32. H.E. President Ernesto Samper Pizano, President of the Republic of Colombia and Chairman of the Conference delivered the closing statement.